A letter is a writing type which providing a communication of two people or institutions. There are lots of letter types. Because technology has developed, it has lost its importance.
Types of Letter
There are totally five types of letter.
- Private Letters: These types of letter are written by two close friends, or relatives. Their aim is to provide communication, to talk about a subject. It is important for just two people. These letters are called with different names like “congratulation letter, family letter, invitation letter, thank you letter, etc.”.
- Business Letter: These types of letter are written between companies, institutions and people. You have to use explanatory description in this type of letter.
- Formal Letters: These types of letter are written by formal institutions and people who live in the same country. They are similar to business letters. You have to use an addressing as the authority office’s name like “To General Directorate of Immigration Office”. In these letters, date, line number of the letter and subject of it should be specified. It is written shortly just aim of the letter in the section of subject.
- Literate and Philosophic Letters: These types of letters are different from others. Because they include literate poetries, they are written by authors, they are not between two people. They are sometimes anonym.
- Open Letters: These types of letters are published to the public by magazines with the aim of explaining an idea or defending an idea. In open letters, important subjects regarding large mass are approached.
Which Parts Should A Letter Include?
A letter should include at least four parts. They are addressing part, introduction part, body part and conclusion part.
- Addressing Part: It is important to write an addressing. If you write your letter to your friend, you can use his or her name or Dr, Mrs., Mr., etc. If you write your letter to an institution, you should write its name or “To Whom It May Concern”.
- Introduction Part: In this part, you should mention about the subject of your letter. You have to describe why you write it. By making a paragraph, you can pass to the body of the letter.
- Body Part: In this part, you can mention about why you write your letter, what your aim is, what you want in detail. The main part of the letter is this part. This part can create from lots of paragraphs. You can explain your short sentences which you set in the introduction part. You can describe what you want, when you want, who you want to reach as paragraphs. By making a paragraph, you can pass the conclusion part of your letter.
- Conclusion Part: In the conclusion part of your letter, you write your good wishes. If it is a business letter, you should write “Best Regards or Regardly”.
Points to Consider While Writing A Letter
- While writing a letter, you should have a clear paper and a well envelope. This basic detail shows the value that you give to your partner.
- The addressing in your letter should be selected according to the person or an institution that you will send. Dear My Friend, To Whom It May Concern, Mr. …, Mrs. …, etc.
- In the letter, you should write your aim in the body paragraph.
- In the conclusion part of your letter, you have to offer your good wishes.
A Format of a Letter
If you need a letter format, you can use at below. It is a standard letter format and well-prepared.
City, State Zip Code
City, State Zip Code
Body of Letter
An Example of a Letter
It is an example of a letter. As our format, this letter is written. If you need a letter example, you can look at it.
The Steps of Writing A Letter
- Specify an Aim and An Answerer
- Mention the Content of The Letter
- Write an Addressing Expression
- Introducing Yourself
- Writing the Subject of The Letter
- Writing Name, Surname, Signature and Address
- Edit Language, Punctuation Marks, Grammar and Spelling Mistakes
- Sending the Letter