The first professional step to look for a new job is to have a well-prepared resume. You should see your resume as your advertisement. It includes name, surname, contact information, academic background, work experiences, skills and references. You should offer a resume which introduces you before every job interview.
To Prepare an Effective Resume
- You shouldn’t use long sentences. Your sentences should be short and briefly.
- It shouldn’t be longer than two pages. (If it is an academic resume, it can take more pages than two.
- Don’t write long paragraphs. To write short paragraphs will be enough.
- Be careful grammar, spelling and punctuation marks mistakes.
- You have to prepare a cover letter which is suitable for the position which you apply for.
- Generally, you should use “Times New Roman – 12”.
- You have to follow opposite chronological order.
- You shouldn’t add unnecessary information.
- Your sentences should be short and clear.
- You should write a short paragraph which you can describe your features which are suitable for the position which you apply for, you will introduce yourself, and you can specify your application aim.
- You should certainly write your name, surname, your contact information, e-mail address, phone number which they can contact with you, in the top of your resume.
- You can write date of birth, place of birth, marital status.
- If you are applying for a job in abroad, you should write your nationality.
- You should write the schools which you graduated from, with opposite chronological order.
- You can specify your successes in your school.
Work / Internship Experience
- You should write your work / internship experience with opposite chronological order.
- By specifying your previous workplaces, you should write what your position was, which responsibilities you had shortly.
- Especially, you have to emphasize your successes.
- You can specify foreign languages or PC programs which you know.
- If you know lots of foreign languages or PC programs, you can specify levels.
- You can write your skills which are related to the position that you apply for.
- If you are a member of associations which are related to your occupation, you can specify their names.
- If it is necessary, you can add your driving license.
Educations / Certificates
- You can specify the courses, educational conferences which you attended under suitable titles.
- Two references can be written. It is enough.
- If you are a new graduate, you can request from your teachers to be your reference.
- Other choice is to use the sentence of “When it is requested, it will be given.”
- If you don’t have any reference, you shouldn’t add this part.
- Don’t show people who don’t know your well, as your reference.
How Can You Prepare a Wonderful Resume?
- You should use a correct order to prepare your resume.
- Presentation is an important key. So, your resume should be readable and clear.
- Don’t prepare your resume more than two pages. It is getting bored for readers.
- Affect the employer with your skills which are suitable for the job.
- Prepare a special resume according to the job which you apply for.
- Emphasize your skills well.
- Benefit from your points of interest.
- Emphasize your experiences.
- Give a place for your references.
- Keep up to date your resume.