If you especially leave from a company which you have worked for long years, however you have conditions, to leave is quietly a hard duration. So, you should be careful while you are writing your resignation letter.
You should write your resignation letter shortly and clearly. You should specify starting date of employment, your position and the date when you inform your resignation. You don’t need to specify a reason. It is not a condition. Also, you must write the letter by addressing to Human Resources Department or General Director.
What Should You Include in Your Resignation Letter?
Firstly, you don’t need to specify a reason. You should write your resignation letter with direct sentences with a kindly language.
If you want, you can mention about your experiences, opportunities and career development support you had there, so you thank your employer. With such expression, maybe your employer wants to write a reference letter to you.
The Most Important Points to Consider
- Keep it positive: How upset you feel, you should be positive. And you should reflect your positive emotion. Of course, to leave workplace is always a depressing situation but you want to do it.
- Provide a formal letter: Even if you will send your resignation letter by e-mail, you should provide it to be a formal letter. It is important because your letter is recorded to your Human Resources file. It becomes a reference for your future works.
- Offer to help with the transition: If you offer to help with the transition, it means that you can come back again.
- Don’t brag about your new job: Maybe, you will go to your new job anymore. You are excited. But you shouldn’t brag about your new job. You should be silently. Maybe you miss your old colleagues.
- Don’t tell the whole truth during your exit interview: Maybe you are leaving because of your angry boss or corporate culture or colleagues. You shouldn’t say them. Don’t forget! You don’t need to specify a reason.
- Don’t quit without notice: You should inform your resignation before at least 15 days. If you don’t say, maybe the company would be in bad situation.
Formal Resignation Letter Sample
There is a formal resignation letter sample.
Your City, State Zip Code
Your Phone Number
City, State Zip Code
Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:
I would like to inform you that I am resigning from my position as Marketing Supervisor for the Smith Company, effective October 1, 20XX.
Thank you for the support and the opportunities that you have provided me during the last two years. I have truly enjoyed my tenure with [insert Name of Company] and am more than grateful for the encouragement you have given me in pursuing my professional and personal growth objectives.
If I can be of any assistance during this transition in order to facilitate the seamless passing of my responsibilities to my successor, please let me know. I would be glad to help however I can.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Your Typed Name
Email Resignation Message
If you send your resignation letter by e-mail, you can use this format while you are writing your resignation letter. “Resignation – Jane Doe” or “Jane Doe Resignation” as the subject will ensure that your manager will recognize the importance of the message. The body of the letter should be the same as any formal resignation.
Subject: First name Last name Resignation
Dear Mr./Ms. Supervisor,
Please accept this letter as formal notification of my resignation from Capitol Company. My last day of work will be January 25, 20XX.
I really appreciate the experience and growth opportunities I have gained while working with you; my successor, like me, will be fortunate to be a part of your dynamic and supportive team operations.
If I can help in any way to ease the transition, please let me know. I wish you and [Insert Name of Company] continued success.
First name Last name