Communication is one of the most necessary things to be able to communicate with people in our family life, business life and private life. People who speaks as quality and effective, always succeed to come into prominence in their life. To speak well and to use language well are personal skills of every person. Some children are born with their extraordinary language skills and they reveal their skills with their long and quality sentences.
10 Important Communication Skills
What are communication skills? How should we talk? How should we be a speaker? Of course, we cannot be just a speaker. We should be also a well listener. Communication skills provide advantage in all part of our life.
- Listening: To be a good listener is one of the best ways to be a good communicator. While we are talking, we don’t like to be interrupted by anyone. We want to be listened. But we shouldn’t forget that everyone wants so. We should be a good listener, so we may have more quality communication with people.
You should also be an active listener. How can you be? By listening your colleague with your all attention, asking questions about the topic, rephrasing her/his word (for example: So, what you said that….).
- Nonverbal Communication: Other part of communication is nonverbal communication. It is a method applied in business life communication. You are always in nonverbal communication by eye contact, body language, hand gestures, and tone of voice all color the message you are trying to convey. For example, if you sit calmly and arms open, legs relax, it makes you appear approachable and will encourage others to speak openly with you.
You can make a communication with also eye contact. By focusing on the person to demonstrate, you can go on your speaking.
There are also nonverbal signals while you are talking. What are they? For example; while you are talking, you can understand how the person feel. If he/she doesn’t look at you, maybe he/she is bored.
- Clarity / Concision: If you want to have a good communication, you should be clear and understandable. You shouldn’t give place unnecessary information in your speaking. You are speaking should be directly and clearly.
- Friendliness: If you have a friendly tone, if you ask a personal question, and give a smile, you can encourage your colleagues to talk with you more comfortably. It is well to have a good communication with your colleagues.
- Confidence: When you provide your colleagues’ confidence, they believe whatever you say, and they always listen you. You also have a well communication with them.
- Empathy: Maybe your colleague thinks different than you. Your ideas are not same or similar. It is ordinary. In such situations, you should make empathy. You shouldn’t criticize him or her.
- Open-Mindedness: If you want to be a good communicator, you should be flexible and open mind. You should be open mind to all kinds of ideas. You can specify that you don’t accept that idea, when you express it, your colleagues trust you more.
- Respect: Even if their words are not suitable for you, you should respect him or her. You should listen him or her carefully, you should attend or disagree him or her. It is your idea.
- Feedback: Feedback is an important factor of a well communication. In business life, you can give your feedback by generally e-mail or a daily or weekly report that your employer demand from you.
- Picking the Right Medium: When you need to talk with your boss or Human Resources Specialist, but they are very busy. You shouldn’t try to talk when they are not suitable. You should send an e-mail. It is kindlier act. And it shows that you give value to your boss or other person.